Friday, August 13, 2010

The rest of the story

In labor and delivery this time, they gave me two shots of terbutaline again which seemed to slow everything down a good bit, but the doctor wanted to keep me overnight for observation. The three monitors and mean blood pressure cuff were hooked back up, and I was depressed. I told Cole he should go home to sleep, but he wanted to stay since we didn't really know what was going on. I'm so glad he did. Around 4 or 5 a.m. I started having pretty painful contractions. Honestly, though, I couldn't tell how bad they were because I thought I just needed to use the bathroom and the pain was from the babies on my bladder. I didn't call the nurse about my contractions because I wanted to be able to talk to the doctor face-to-face before I was put on any more medication. I knew if I told them about my contractions they would have just called the doctor and he would have ordered something for me. So I kept my mouth shut.

Around 5:50 Tuesday morning I felt what I thought was my water breaking. I was in shock and couldn't move. What do I do????? I decided waking Cole up was a good first step. He was completely disoriented and confused. I told him I thought my water had broken and asked if I should call the nurse. Well, DUH! He said, yes, definitely call the nurse. After she confirmed that my water had actually broken, things started getting crazy. My contractions started hurting so much more, they had to put in an IV, they were trying to determine how dilated I was (4-5 cm) and get me ready for delivery. I swear it seemed like the babies were going to come in the next 30 minutes the way they were moving. They did a quick ultrasound to check the babies positions - both head down - and then the doctor asked if I wanted to deliver the babies or have a c-section. I had originally really wanted a c-section because I was absolutely terrified of the risk of delivering Baby A and then needing an emergency c-section for Baby B. However, over the last week in the hospital, I had talked to all the doctors I saw and several of my nurses about delivery, and they really made me less afraid. They always said I could do whatever I wanted and I could even change my mind, but they thought I was a perfect candidate for delivering both of the babies without a c-section, so I decided to try that.

The contractions became unbearable as I was waiting on the epidural. They called the anesthesiologist right after they checked me and got me prepped, and she was ready to go maybe 10 minutes later but it felt like an eternity to me. I was sure I was going to writhe in pain forever. They put it in, and it worked on the right side but not the left. They finally fixed that and then I felt fine. I called my mom and sisters who were on their way to Birmingham. I was still having trouble talking through the contractions, but they were bearable. Marcia came in for a bit to bring Cole breakfast (a chicken rude to eat in front of your wife who's in labor!), and Cole's dad stopped by on his way to his office. At 9:40 a.m. they checked me again (my mom and sisters still weren't quite here, but they were close and made it right about the time I actually started pushing), and they said I was ready to push...yikes!!! I pushed for about an hour before Ellen McCall was born at 10:52 a.m. weighing 4 pounds 6 ounces and measuring 18.5 inches long (although now we are pretty certain that this measurement was wrong). I was SHOCKED that she was a girl and she had so much dark hair. I was pretty convinced I was having two bald boys. She cried a little when she was first born, but not much. They cleaned her up and brought her to me briefly. I just couldn't believe that she was here and she was mine.

And then I couldn't believe that I had to do it all over again! Before I had started pushing, the doctor said that sometimes women have to labor another hour or so for Baby B, but I wasn't having any of that. A few pushes and 6 minutes later at 10:58 a.m. Cole Robinson, Jr. was born screaming like crazy weighing 4 pounds 3 ounces and measuring 16.5 inches. We were shocked again that he was boy, because Cole and I both thought that they were going to be the same gender. They had almost the exact same measurements and heart rates every time we had an ultrasound, so we were sure they were the same. So after Ellen was born, we thought we'd have two daughters. They cleaned him up and brought him to me. I got to see him much longer than Ellen. It was so surreal.

I still can't believe that I have two babies. They are the most precious little things. Cole and I love to watch all of the weird faces they make. They are sleeping fairly well most of the time. There were a couple of nights before Ellen came home that Cole just wanted to be awake all night. He wasn't crying or anything, he was just fussy and wanted to be held. Thankfully, we've only had one night without my mom since Ellen came home. It's been great having her here so I can sleep a little and take a shower every now and then. I'll probably be looking rough once she leaves.

I've taken lots of pictures lately; I'll post them soon. Be prepared to say "Awww..." :)


edkincaid Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

yay for birth story!! now for pictures. :) LOVE you and your sweet family!

Mary Alice Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Love the story, I have tears in my eyes. And yes they are the most precious babies ever!!! LOVE YOU!