Wednesday, July 27, 2011

William's Birth Story

(FYI: This is a little long, but I wanted to make sure I wrote it all down.)

William Edwin Gresham made his debut June 24, 2011 at 11:42 p.m. after, shall we say, an "eventful" labor and delivery.

As I've mentioned before, my body likes to spread labor out over several days and weeks. I had been having contractions (sometimes all day long) for a while, but what they call active labor never actually started. So Friday when I was having contractions consistently every 2 minutes for several hours, I wasn't surprised. Some of these contractions hurt, though, so I decided we should probably go to the hospital just to sure nothing was happening.

Cole came home around 2 p.m., we took the twins to my sister-in-law's house, and drove to the hospital. After a couple of hours there it was determined that while I was in fact having fairly strong contractions every 2 minutes, I wasn't dilating at all (which is what they look for when determining if you are in labor), so they sent me home around 5 p.m. Bummer.

We picked up the twins, took them home, fed them, and put them to bed. While doing all of that, I was still having contractions, and they were still uncomfortable. After they were in bed, I told Cole to go to a dinner his firm was having so he could just get out of the house. While he was gone, my contractions went from uncomfortable to downright painful. When he got home at 9:30 he told me we had to go to the hospital. I told him I really didn't want to go yet, but he insisted.

So I called my little sister to come stay at the house with the twins. At this point, I was still thinking that they were going to have to send me back home again and I was less than thrilled with this idea. Cole, on the other hand, was sure this was it and packed a bag in preparation.

We arrived at the hospital around 10:30, and I was in pretty intense pain. They checked me, and I was only 3.5 centimeters dilated (I had only progressed 1.5 centimeters since my appointment Monday.). I was pretty upset and started crying. Cole tried to stay positive, though, and reminded me that at least I had made progress. That meant that they would admit me; this was the real thing.

Thirty minutes later, at 11 p.m., the nurse checked me again and I was 5 centimeters dilated. At this point I was begging for something for the pain. Each contraction was excruciating. I didn't have contractions that painful with the twins until after my water had broken. The nurses told me that the doctor was on his way which I took to mean that I wouldn't get anything for pain until he arrived.

The doctor got there around 11:30ish (things started getting foggy here because I thought I was going to pass out during each contraction). He wanted to check me before we did anything. I asked him how much I had dilated and was worried that I was still at 5 after all that pain. He looked at me and said very calmly, "I think I'm just going to break your water and you're going to have this baby."


I reminded him that I did NOT have my epidural and did not intend on having this baby without it. He simply told me I could do it and would have to do it. He broke my water, and I thought I was going to lose it.

I was so scared to push, but it turns out it didn't hurt nearly as bad as the contractions. About 3 pushes later, William was born.

I absolutely could not believe he was here. It happened so quickly, and Cole and I were so unprepared. Suddenly we were a family of five.

William doesn't look very much like Cole or Ellen. When he sleeps, we see a little bit of little Cole in him, but you have to look pretty hard. He's his own person. His hair is pretty wild, so we think it might be curly.

So far William is pretty quiet. And, honestly, he sometimes gets lost in the shuffle around here. He's just so content (most of the time) that we forget he's sleeping right next to the playroom where the twins are going nuts, banging toys on the floor and laughing hysterically at each other.

Ellen and Cole are becoming a little more interested in him. By interested I mean that they want to pat (read: hit) his head and they laugh when they see Cole or me changing his diaper or feeding him.

He had his four week appointment on Friday, and he now weighs 7 pounds 10 ounces. The doctor was very pleased with his weight gain. We'll go again in two weeks (I think).

We're pretty in love with this little guy.


Jessie Jones Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Beautiful post Anna! I love it. So glad you shared your story with all of us - and no epidural!!! I'm in awe of you right now!

Chera Doty Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

My Caleb turned 2 June 24th! He's a pretty awesome little boy, as I'm sure your William is too!! I love reading your posts - it makes me miss you so much. I am determined to get to meet all three of your sweeties before they get too much bigger. You are awesome!! Love you lots! Congrats on your beautiful family!!

Stephanie Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Aw, I love it. Thanks for posting that. So good to read. Um... I can't believe you have THREE babies! :)
Love you.

Holly G Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Such an amazing story! You are a strong momma for sure! I remember during Dawson's birth, they gave me an epidural, which ended up halting my labor. They ended up having to turn off the medication completely before I continued to progress so he was also born with no pain medication. It was crazy.

Emily Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

what a wonderful and exciting story! thanks for sharing. can't wait to see y'all again...hopefully soon!

Krystle Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hi! New to your blog :)
I have a 3 year old and twin 5 month olds!
Looking forward to reading your blog :)

lg2006 Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hold UP! YOu had that baby naturally. Holy MOLY momma. I mean you were already leading the race for toughest momma on the block with 3 under 2! so natural labor just makes you a HERO! Very impressed and he got here QUICK! Cant wait to hear about the day to day! Are you just EXHAUSTED or what?

Eowyn's Heir Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Love it that you did it naturally-- isn't pushing such a relief!?? I'm training to become a doula (labor support for the mom) and one of the things they hammer into our heads is that dilation is NOT a good indicator of labor all!! You have now lived through proof of that! Kudos to your doc for empowering you to go all-natural; if more docs were that affirming (telling women- you are strong, you can do this!) I think more moms would go all-natural, especially knowing all the benefits to both them and baby! (heheh I labored 45 hours with Éoywn no mess at all, and I honestly felt like it wasn't so bad!)